网院作业 发表于 2022-4-4 09:35:49

西南大学《0859跨文化交际》22春在线作业答案

0859 跨文化交际
1.[单选题] “A Pandora’s box” refers to a present or something ____.
答案资料下载请参考帮助中心说明
A.    which seems valuable but brings misfortune
B.   which brings happiness but looks ugly
C.   which a bride traditionally gives to a bridegroom
D.    which can create anything its owner wants
    A.E.which a bride traditionally gives to a bridegroom
    B.which brings happiness but looks ugly
    C.which can create anything its owner wants
    D.which seems valuable but brings misfortune
2.[单选题] When introduced to a senior professor or to the parents of a friend, which of the following is appropriate?
A. “Hi! Glad to know you.”   
B. “Hello” and bow.
C. “Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” and then shake hands.
D. “How are you?”
    A.“Hi! Glad to know you.”??
    B.“Hello, it’s nice to meet you,” and then shake hands.
    C.“Hello” and bow.
    D.“How are you?”
3.[单选题] “Chink” and “洋鬼子” are clear cases of ____.
A.    swear words
B.   racist language
C.   terms of humility
D.    verbal taboos
    A.A.swear words
    B.D.racist language
    C.terms of humility
    D.verbal taboos
4.[单选题] The relationship between language and culture is that ____.
A.    language determines culture
B.   culture determines language
C.   language and culture interact
D.    language and culture are parallel
    A.language determines culture
    B.language and culture are parallel
    C.language and culture interact
    D.culture determines language
5.[单选题] In America, you go into a department store but you just want to look without any intention of buying anything. A salesperson comes up to you and asks, “Can I help you?” What should you do?
A. Say, “Thanks, but I’m just browsing.”
B. Say yes and ask for help so you won’t offend the salesperson.
C. Say no.
D. Smile and shake your head.
    A.Say no.
    B.Smile and shake your head.?
    C.Say yes and ask for help so you won’t offend the salesperson.
    D.Say, “Thanks, but I’m just browsing.”
6.[单选题] The euphemism for a slow students is ____.
A.    a lazy student
B.   a student who is working at his own level
C.   a student who depends on others to do his work
D.    a bad student
    A.a student who is working at his own level
    B.a bad student
    C.a student who depends on others to do his work
    D.a lazy student
7.[单选题] Which topic is more appropriate to discuss immediately after an introduction?
    A.Politics.
    B.Religion.
    C.Marital status.
    D.Weather.
8.[单选题] Mr. Jones, an American businessman, is mad at his Japanese counterparts who persistently ask him the same question. “Why don’t they believe me?” he complains. What is causing the confusion?
    A.Mr. Jones doesn’t explain the matter clearly enough.
    B.Mr. Jones is impatient at his Japanese counterparts.
    C.The Japanese tend to distrust Americans.
    D.The Japanese tend to repeat the questions.
9.[单选题] When one customer inquired about Mary, my colleague, who resigned a coupe of weeks before, I, a Chinese American, said, “She’s at a better place now.” Upon hearing it, the customer was startled and asked sorrowfully, “What? How sad! What happened to her?”
How did the customer understand the reply “She’s at a better place now”?
    A.She’s landed a better job.
    B.She’s spending her holiday.
    C.She’s dead.
    D.She’s jobless.
10.[单选题] The Chinese phrase “知识分子” has the same meaning as “intellectual”.
    A.T
    B.F
11.[单选题] Although cultural stereotype has its limitations (over-generalization), it still contributes to a person’s cultural cognition.
    A.T
    B.F
12.[单选题] It is very important for nonnative speakers to learn to communicate incomprehension through idiomatic expressions as well as nonverbal gestures.
    A.T
    B.F
13.[单选题] We should avoid unconsciously adopting our cultural rules and norms in communication in the American or British context.
    A.T
    B.F
14.[单选题] In Asian cultures, signed agreements are far less important than keeping the interdependent, interwoven organizations involved in a good relationship.
    A.T
    B.F
15.[单选题] The first and last principle for effective cross-gender communication is suspending judgment.
    A.T
    B.F
16.[单选题] 4. The social functions of Chinese and English compliments are roughly the same.
    A.T
    B.F
17.[单选题] There are as many similarities as dissimilarities between English proverbs and Chinese proverbs.
    A.T
    B.F
18.[单选题] The Chinese way of showing concern is usually appreciated by the Westerners.
    A.T
    B.F
19.[单选题] Culture is a static entity while communication is a dynamic process.
    A.T
    B.F
20.[单选题] You have spent an afternoon with your foreign teacher, Mr. Good. As you leave Mr. Good says, “Do drop around and visit us some time.” You reply, ______________.
A. “Yes, of course, if I am free.”
B. “I will come anytime, if you like.”
C. “Thank you. I will come at 7 p.m. on Monday.”    天津大学作业无忧答案网整理
D. “Thank you, I will.”
    A.B.“I will come anytime, if you like.”
    B.“Yes, of course, if I am free.”
    C.“Thank you, I will.”
    D.“Thank you. I will come at 7 p.m. on Monday.”
21.[单选题] “Pork”, “mutton” and “beef” are words ____.
A.    of English origin
B.   from French
C.   from Latin
D.    from India
    A.of English origin
    B.from French
    C.from Latin
    D.from India
22.[判断题] To sound modest and humble was vital to the ancient Chinese people, especially when they communicated with those who were older, higher in socioeconomic position, or more privileged in a specific area.
    A.正确
    B.错误
23.[判断题] Nonverbal communication may only be used in combination with verbal behaviours to convey meaning.
    A.正确
    B.错误
24.[判断题] Violating a cultural taboo is as serious as violating a verbal taboo.
    A.正确
    B.错误
25.[判断题] In Chinese culture, anything related to privacy or considered personal are taboo.
    A.正确
    B.错误
26.[判断题] Traditional English culture emphasized harmonious relationships between man and nature, between individuals, and between individuals and society.
    A.正确
    B.错误
27.[判断题] Culture is a static entity while communication is a dynamic process.
    A.正确
    B.错误
28.[判断题] In referring to animals and birds, the Chinese practice is generally, but not always, to use “公” or “母” to show whether a creature is male or female. This is the same with the English language.
    A.正确
    B.错误
29.[判断题] In intercultural communication, you can only communicate successfully with people who share the same cultural background with you.
    A.正确
    B.错误
30.[判断题] All cultures require and value politeness, but the ways in which politeness is achieved may vary significantly.
    A.正确
    B.错误
31.[判断题] High uncertainty and anxiety hinder effective intercultural communication to a different extent.
    A.正确
    B.错误
32.[判断题] Due to the cultural differences, interpreting in intercultural encounters is possible but difficult.
    A.正确
    B.错误
33.[判断题] Cultural differences can generate positive impacts on negotiation as people can learn from each other.
    A.正确
    B.错误
34.[判断题] A lady might be feminine, masculine or a combination of both.
    A.正确
    B.错误
35.[判断题] Sometimes the Chinese way of showing modesty must be considered as fishing
for compliments.
    A.正确
    B.错误
36.[判断题] All cultures require and value politeness, but the ways in which politeness is achieved may vary significantly.
    A.正确
    B.错误
37.[判断题] The Chinese way of showing concern is usually appreciated by the Westerners.
    A.正确
    B.错误
38.[判断题] Humor is beyond language, and it takes us into the heart of cultural understanding.
    A.正确
    B.错误
39.[判断题] Latin American, African, Arab and most Asian cultures are M-Time cultures.
    A.正确
    B.错误
40.[判断题] Language cannot teach one a culture’s lifestyle, ways of thinking, or different patterns of interacting, for language only means vocabulary, syntax, and dialects.
    A.正确
    B.错误
41.[主观填空题] When communicating with each other, each person ___________ and sends messages, and in turn receives and decodes messages. (records/encodes)
    A.
42.[主观填空题] Intercultural competence requires sufficient knowledge, suitable _______, and skilled actions. (motivation/movement)
    A.
43.[主观填空题] Culture _________ is precipitated by the anxiety that results from losing all our familiar signs and symbols of social intercourse. (shock/norm)
    A.
44.[主观填空题] A term in one language does not necessarily have a ______ in the other language. (meaning/counterpart)
    A.
45.[主观填空题] In daily verbal communication, there are many <u>          </u> ways one must observe in order to maintain smooth cross-cultural interaction. (routine/unconventional)
    A.
46.[主观填空题] Edward Hall alerts us to the invisible aspects of culture and nonverbal communication, which he calls as “ <u>      </u> language” and “hidden dimension”. (silent/foreign)
    A.
47.[主观填空题] In daily verbal communication, there are many _____ ways one must observe in order to maintain smooth cross-cultural interaction. (routine/unconventional)
    A.
48.[主观填空题] Understanding and appreciation of differences among cultures in cognitive processing and problem solving is a major step toward successful <u>       </u> communication. (intercultural/interpersonal)
    A.
49.[主观填空题] Since the East and the West have different perceptions of cosmic patterns, they have different approaches to ________.(knowledge/experience)
    A.
50.[主观填空题] The purpose of the greeting is to ______ social contact, not to transfer information. (establish/break)
    A.
51.[问答题] Case 1
<strong>A Bad Appointment</strong>
   George Hall was in Beijing attending a trade fair and looking for an opportunity to do business in China. He had been very successful in his business dealings in the US and prided himself on his ability “to get things moving.” His first day was going well. He looked around at the displays of sporting equipment to get some idea of whom he might approach. He was sure that his products, tennis rackets with an unusual new design, would arouse some interests. On the second day he approached the company which he felt would be most responsive to his products. He introduced himself to the general, Mr. Li. Since he had read that Chinese find it too abrupt and rude to get down to business immediately, he began a casual conversation, eventually leading up to the topic of his products and suggesting how Mr. Li’s company might benefit from using them. George then suggested that he could arrange to get together with Mr. Li and provide more specifics and documentation on his products.
    Mr. Li responded in fairly good English, “That would be interesting.”
    Knowing that he had only a few days left in Beijing, George wanted to nail down a time. “When can we meet?” asked George.
“Ah. This week is very busy,” replied Mr. Li.
“It sure is,” said George. “How about 10’clock? Meet you here.”
“Tomorrow at 10&#39; clock?” asked Mr. Li thoughtfully.
   “Right,” said George. “I&#39;ll see you then?”
   “Hmm, yes; why don’t you come by tomorrow,” was the reply.
   “OK,” responded George. “It was nice meeting you.”
   The next day at 10&#39;clock, he approached Mr. Li’s company’s exhibit only to find that Mr. Li had some important business and was notable to meet with George. He called back later in the day and was told that Mr. Li was not available.
<strong><em>Question:</em></strong><strong><em> Why did George feel terrible about the appointment?</em></strong>

A.
52.[问答题] Case 2
A Puerto Rican teenage girl in a New York high school was taken to the principal for suspected smoking with a number of other girls. Questioned by the principal, the girl kept looking at the floor and refused to meet his eyes. Although there was no proof of any wrongdoing and although she had a good record, the principal decided that she was guilty and suspected her. “There was something sly and suspicious about her,” he said in his report. “She just wouldn&#39;t meet my eye. She wouldn&#39;t look at me.”
Questions:
Do you think the girl is guilty or not? And why?

A.
53.[问答题] 1. Case 2
   Sophie, her husband and their baby came to visit her Chinese friend&#39;s family from England. The Chinese family invited them to have dinner outside. Since it was an open restaurant with fresh air, many people liked enjoying their dinner there. Lucy, the baby, was very beautiful and healthy. She attracted the attention of many Chinese people nearby. One elderly woman at the next table came directly to the baby and smiled to her and wanted to hug the baby. Sophie was frightened and angry with that and held the baby tightly. She refused the elderly woman very impolitely. The elderly woman felt embarrassed. Sophie&#39;s Chinese friend explained to her about this aspect of Chinese culture. Sophie was a little reassured.
<strong><em>Questions: </em></strong>
<strong><em>Why was Sophie frightened and angry when an elderly Chinese intended to</em></strong><strong><em> </em></strong><strong><em>hug her baby?</em></strong>

A.
54.[问答题] Case 1
A British Professor’s Posture
While lecturing to his poetry class at A in Shams University in Cairo, a British professor became so relaxed that he leaned back in his chair and revealed the bottom of his foot to the astonished class. The next day, the Cairo newspapers carried headlines about the student demonstration that resulted, and they denounced the British arrogance and demanded that the professor be sent home.
Question:
Why was the locals angry about the British professor&#39;s behavior?

A.
55.[问答题] How do you understand the relationship between language, culture and communication?

A.
56.[问答题] How do you celebrate the Spring Festival?

A.
57.[问答题] How do you understand the “Belt and Road Initiative” (一带一路)?

A.
58.[问答题] How can you understand people share some similarities and also have differences in nonverbal communication with examples?

A.
59.[问答题] Greeting Rituals
Why didn’t Dianna tell Lily the prices of her dress and shoes? Why did Dianna leave in a hurry?What should Lily do in greeting and interacting with her business partner?
       On her first business trip toBritain, Lily fromChinamet her British counterpart, Dianna:
      Lily: Hello, my name is Lily.
      Dianna: I’m Dianna.
      Lily: I really like your dress. How much did it cost?
      Dianna: Well, uh, I, I don’t remember for sure.
      Lily: Your shoes are nice too. They look expensive. How much did they cost?
      Dianna: I must be going now. See you later.
      Lily: Oh, where are you going?
      Dianna: Oh, sorry (hurriedly leaves).
Questions: Why didn’t Dianna tell Lily the prices of her dress and shoes? Why did Dianna leave in a hurry?What should Lily do in greeting and interacting with her business partner?
    A.
60.[问答题] My mother is ill
      In a police office in Hong Kong, a Chinese policeman (A) came up to his British superior (B).
      A: Sir.
      B: Yes, what is it?
      A: My mother is not very well, sir.
      B: So?
      A: She has to go into hospital, sir.
      B: Well, get on with it. What do you want?
      A: On Thursday, sir.
      B: Bloody hell, man. What do you want?
      A: Nothing, sir.
Questions: Can you guess why the policeman went to his superior’s office? What caused the misunderstanding? What should the Chinese policeman say to get what he wanted?

A.
西南大学答案无忧答案网发布
页: [1]
查看完整版本: 西南大学《0859跨文化交际》22春在线作业答案